November 24, 2011
This morning I sat and passed the Microsoft SharePoint 2010, Application Development exam (70-573). I was very pleased to finally get around to sitting this and was happy to pass it first time.
In the end I found the exam relatively easy but I did spend a fair amount of time revising. Below is a list of some of the resources I used as revision.
As a starting point the exam details on the Microsoft learning site is a must as this provides the categories and topics that will be covered in the test. From reviewing this I able to see the areas that could be tested and quickly identify the particular topics I would need to focus on. For me this was mainly working with the ribbon, see Chris O’Brien’s blog for a variety of articles on the ribbon, and using the client object model.
One thing I found extremely useful was a series of YouTube videos called SharePoint Certification Exam prep by Ted Pattison. This gave me a very good idea of what to expect and an idea of the sort of questions that would be in the test.
Another good resource I found was the Professional SharePoint 2010 Development book by Tom Rizzo, Reza Alirezaei, Paul Swider, Scott Hillier, Jeff Fried and Kenneth Schaefer. This covers a lot of stuff that isn’t in the exam but I still found it useful as a general overview.
Finally, as always, the measure up exams were again a good starting point on the topics/questions and to help get yourself in exam mode.
As i mentioned earlier I found this exam relatively easy and think most people who have been using SharePoint 2010, or even 2007, for a while should be ok. I have been using SharePoint for a few years and while there were some questions that had code snippets I hadn’t seen before it is usually pretty easy to work out the answer by reviewing the options and ruling out what it isn’t.
Any good luck to anyone who is sitting this exam.
November 21, 2011
I have been studying from the Microsoft SharePoint 2010, Application Development and as part of this I have been reviewing various topics such as web part connections, timer jobs and working on the ribbon.
Personally when studying I prefer to take a hands on approach and try things on my own rather than reading books or articles and it was when playing with customising the ribbon which resulted in me writing this blog post.
I created some simple ribbon examples without any issues, however when I tried to create a custom drop down item I found there were a few caveats.
The first error I encountered was ‘The display mode with name: Large is not valid for this control with id: RL.SharePoint.CustomTab.GroupOne.Controls.DropDown’. When looking at this I initially thought there must have been a typo in my XML somewhere but after search and searching I couldn’t see anything. Looking at the error I could see it wasn’t happy with the display mode large so comparing this with the XML, see figure 1, I could see I was setting the DisplayMode of the GroupTemplate element to be large so I tried changing this to Medium and the error disappeared.
- <ControlRefDisplayMode=“Large“TemplateAlias=“dd1“ />
Once I had corrected the error mentioned above I then started getting another error ‘Invalid argument’ and at first I had no idea what could be causing this. I reviewed my XML for the drop down control and noticed the command property hadn’t been set but even after setting this I was still getting the same error. From the error I figured it must be a missing property on the drop down control so I systematically added values to each property until I stopped getting the error. It turns out that it was the Width property that was causing the error, see full drop down XML below.
- <ControlsId=“RL.SharePoint.CustomTab.GroupOne.Controls“ToolTipDescription=“Group One Controls Tool Tip“
- ToolTipTitle=“Group One Controls Title“ToolTipShortcutKey=“f“>
- TemplateAlias=“dd1“Command=“RL.Command.DropDown.OptionSelected“Width=“200px“ >
- <MenuSectionTitle=“Menu Sectino One“Id=“RL.SharePoint.CustomTab.GroupOne.DropDown.Menu.MenuSectionOne“>
- LabelText=“1“ />
- LabelText=“3“ />
Overall customising the ribbon was relatively straight forward and these small errors while frustrating weren’t the end of the world and once you’ve encountered them once you’ll know in the future. Anyway hope this saves someone else from having the same issues as me.